Click for more pix

Click for more pix
The ultimate short game practice complex

Friday, January 13, 2012

Exceptional Pot Bunker

I thought I'd create a separate post for this bunker because I felt that it deserved individual attention.  It was so fun to build and seemed like the perfect addition to the green.


I'm not afraid to say the original bunker that was built here was sub par and didn't fit the eye.  Below are some pictures of the original bunker that had to be erased to make way for the one you see above.  I didn't want to walk away from this job with any major regrets.




I filled this bunker back in with soil as the new one wouldn't be in the same spot and started over as you will see in the pictures below.  Some might say that I waisted time here but like I said, "no regrets".





Now that looks like a better start, don't you think?  This bunker should provide one of the toughest shots in golf.





Ok now get with it and lay the sod.  This was actually the zoysia sod for the approaches but I thought a picture of pallets of sod would be appropriate.








I am extremely pleased with the way this bunker turned out.


1 comment:

  1. Hancy,
    Thanks for your advice and the link to your site.

    The sod was laid in August and got very stressed dispite the amount of irrigation, but survived. I will be curious to see how well it performs next season. It gets cut at a very high HOC (height of cut)at about 4in. and the bunker face will only be cut every other week without scalping.

    I used a blend for the rough (lawn grasses) 90% fescue and 10% bluegrass. The sod farm uses Hogan seed but I don't remember the cultivar names. I will definitely consider using different cultivars if these fail. I seeded the outer areas that you see as dirt in the pics with the same blend but from Jacklin Seed. The cultivar label came off the bag so I can't remember those names either. I will be getting some more and will let you know what the cultivars are when I get the shipment.

    The golf course I worked for (built about 7 years ago)had bunker faces like this one but were 100% bluegrass. We flymowed the faces every other week and sprayed them once a month, mainly with Primo to regulate growth, but fungicides and other pesticides were implemented on an as needed or season timing basis. Summer patch was the main problem in the rough so thats why I chose to use 90% fescue.

    As this season progresses I will post new pictures. I also may add a no mow area on some of the slopes using fine fescues or some native grasses, but I don't want to take away too many areas that are to be used for practicing difficult shots.

    ReplyDelete